Ever have those days/weeks where you feel a bit “off”?
As though something just isn’t connected?
Like you’ve got your clothes on inside out and your head is back to front?
Well, I know a sofa day and glass of wine can feel quite helpful, BUT have you ever thought about it on a slightly deeper level?
On an energetic level?
If you’ve been practicing Yoga, or even just expressing interest for a while, you’ll have heard the word ‘Chakras’ being used quite often.
If you’ve been to a class, you’ll undoubtedly have heard your teacher mention them, or even themed a class around them.
(In fact, I’m about to start a whole Chakra series with my online communityfrom this evening!)
Trust me, if you’d told me a few years ago that some of my body’s energy was imbalanced, and that’s why I felt anxious and disconnected all the time, I would’ve poured an even larger glass of wine to numb the thoughts and make it easier to ignore you, BUT THEN…
I started this whole Yoga thing and it all started making sense.
I began to notice, if I felt a bit ‘bleurgh’ sometimes, that it’s actually possible to change that feeling, through specific movement.
So, what ARE chakras?
You may have also heard the terms ‘Meridians’ or ‘Nadis’ too, which all explain a similar principal that energy flows through the body’s energy points, on a specific path, and if you experience an imbalance, it gives you the ‘bleurgh’ feeling.
So, either your Chakra (energy point) is blocked or imbalanced, and it may lead you to feel a bit weird, OR you might even suffer with re-occurring yuckiness.
We have seven Chakras through the body, and below I’ve outlined the basics of each physical location, along with some feelings/symptoms you may experience due to a balance or imbalance of energy…..
* Muladhara – Root Chakra Physical Location: Base of the Spine Imbalanced Energy:Anxiety, Constipation, Insecurity, Balanced Energy:Calm, Grounded, Energised. Practice: Utkatasana (Chair Pose) * Svadistasana – Sacral Chakra Physical Location: Between Naval and Pelvis Imbalanced Energy: Lower Back/Hip Pain, Lack of Creativity, Balanced Energy:Strong Sexual Energy, Creativity Practice: Malasana (Hindu Squat)
* Manipura – Solar Plexus Chakra Physical Location: Solar Plexus (2 inches above the naval) Imbalanced Energy: Low Self-Esteem, Guilt, Fatigue, Digestive Issues Balanced Energy:Strength, Confidence, Mental Balance Practice: Vashistasana (Side Plank)
* Vishuddha – Throat Chakra Physical Location: Throat Imbalance Energy: Shyness, Weak Voice, Fear of Speaking your Mind, Thyroid Issues Balanced Energy: Thruthful, Good Communication, Peaceful Practice: Halasana (Plough Pose)
* Ajna – Third Eye Chakra Physical Location:Space Between Eyebrows Imbalanced Energy: Lack of Intuition, Unfocussed, Moodiness Balanced Energy:Focussed, Spiritually Connected, Intuitive. Practice: Balasana (Child’s Pose)
* Sahasrara – Crown Chakra Physical Location: Top of the Head Imbalanced Energy: Emotionally Disconnected, Lack of Memory, Weak Nervous System Balanced Energy:Spiritual, Open Minded, Connected, Strong Physical Health Practice: Utanasana (Standing Forward Fold)
How do you feel after reading all of that? Does anything ring true with you?
By the way, NOBODY is ever fully balanced, or feels the same level of balance every day. That’s why your Yoga practice can feel so different from one day to the next.
It’s really important to remember that it’s ok to feel different every day, as your energy changes with the ebb and flow of life.
I’m a bit extra, so I’ve tattooed the Chakras on my arm as a daily reminder to just friggin’ go with it :)